HHS Ambassadors at Purdue

OUR NEW BLOG IS LOCATED AT


Come and see all the new information we have created to let you see what the College of Health & Human Sciences at Purdue University is all about!

Boiler Up!!!!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cooperative Housing - Not Just a College Experience...A Lifetime Experience!

Classes are well underway at this point in the semester, and most everyone has had their first exam in their classes! College isn’t just about going to class, doing homework, and taking exams though – a HUGE part of the college experience is getting involved socially!

When I first looked into coming to Purdue I was wondering – it’s SO BIG – how will I ever get involved, and where should I live!? There are so many options to choose from: dorms, sororities, fraternities, cooperative houses, apartments – the list could go on and on. Finally, I settled on an option, and I now live in a Cooperative house called Twin Pines! You may be asking yourself, “What in the heck is a cooperative house?” Well, I am here to answer that! It is a house full of girls (there are guy houses too!), who live, cook, clean, and have tons of fun together! It is similar in many ways to the general idea of a sorority – we have recruitment, pledge ship, paddles, Big Sis’s, functions with other boys’ co-op houses and/or fraternities, philanthropies, and we play intramural sports too! The biggest thing that sets us apart from other group living styles is that we have meal duties where we cook for the whole house with one or two other girls about twice a week, and we help clean a small part of the house about an hour a week. By doing this, it is IMMENSELY cheaper than many other options! We are also much smaller than a typical sorority – my house had 29 girls, so you get to know everyone really well! We have a new pledge class this year – and it’s been so much fun getting to know all the new girls, and to see them beginning to fall in love with this house like I have. I LOVE living at Twin Pines so much, and I would never want to have lived this past year and a half anywhere else. I have made some of my best friends through living in a cooperative house - and really, no matter where you live, you're bound to meet some awesome people!!

--- Ariel Demoret

No comments:

Post a Comment