HHS Ambassadors at Purdue

OUR NEW BLOG IS LOCATED AT


Come and see all the new information we have created to let you see what the College of Health & Human Sciences at Purdue University is all about!

Boiler Up!!!!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Eventful Summer Internship

WOW! I cannot believe I actually have time to rest this weekend, and I'm not traveling out of state this weekend too! My summer has been packed with work, family events, and believe it or not...airplanes. Yes. Airplanes. I am a second year intern at Travelers Insurance, a leading property casualty insurance company. I am in the Claims Professional Development Program working with the Property Claims Department. I love my experience here because of the flexibility and the travel. This summer I have traveled to Hartford, Connecticut for a week, Chicago for a few days, Richardson, Texas for a week and all over the state of Indiana. My internship gives me the opportunity to work with insureds on a one-on-one basis but also allows me to build relationships with corporate executives from an overall business standpoint. My time in Hartford, Connecticut was exciting as I attended the annual Travelers Intern Symposium where all interns from all over the U.S. come in and hold a conference. I was able to re-connect with members from the Claims Board of Directors as well as other higher ups in the company. It is a business environment with a social feeling. I also attended a learning summit in Chicago for members of INROADS, which seeks to provide internships for minority students. I recently came back from a week long trip to Richardson (North Dallas) Texas for training to obtain my license to handle claims for Travelers. I PASSED! I have now obtained my Texas license which is reciprocal to 36 other states, therefore if I would like to work in another office somewhere in the U.S., I can with this license. Work definitely wears me out, but two more weeks left and I'm back to good old Purdue. Can't wait! Hoping everyone is enjoying their last few weeks of summer. See you all soon.

--- Alan Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment