HHS Ambassadors at Purdue

OUR NEW BLOG IS LOCATED AT


Come and see all the new information we have created to let you see what the College of Health & Human Sciences at Purdue University is all about!

Boiler Up!!!!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Speech Therapy Volunteering

I began volunteering at a local long term health center for people with disabilities this summer and it was the farthest thing from what I expected. I was expecting a really uncomfortable situation but it ended up being one of the best experiences of my life! I volunteer in the “therapy room” where the physical, occupational, and speech therapies are held. I ended up becoming attatched to a 43-year-old woman named Julie. Julie was in a car accident when she was 19 which rendered her unable to walk or talk. She also had very limited use of her hands and her mental capacity is that of a 14-year-old. Julie is learning how to use a special spoon that has a very thick grip put on the end so that she can feed herself. Working with Julie has really made me realize that working with people and doing things for them can really help someone’s daily life. Volunteering has really opened my eyes as to how much one person can help another and has made me even more excited for my future as a speech therapist!

--- Lauren Rosswurm

No comments:

Post a Comment