HHS Ambassadors at Purdue

OUR NEW BLOG IS LOCATED AT


Come and see all the new information we have created to let you see what the College of Health & Human Sciences at Purdue University is all about!

Boiler Up!!!!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Yeah Mon: Jamaica Mission Trip

Traveling to another country for the first time, eating exotic foods, and interacting with those of another culture has definitely been the highlight of my 2011 summer. In the third week of July I was given the opportunity to travel to Highgate, Jamaica for a mission trip. I was on a team with 35 other people, who went to a town in Jamaica and built two houses for two separate families, organized a vacation bible school for the Jamaican children at a local church, and even visited an orphanage to play with the kids. It was an amazing experience!! I had never been out of the United States before this trip so of course I was nervous, anxious, and excited all at once. It was a very eye-opening experience for me and definitely made me appreciate what I have here in the states. Also, being a psychology major at Purdue, it was fun for me to be able to talk to and interact with those of another culture. It was also a great experience for me as an Ambassador at Purdue because of the fact that I got to interact with people in another culture.

For the first time ever I got to help build a new house for a family in need. I actually had a lot of fun using power tools and a hammer! We built the house for a mother and three children so it was an amazing thing that God used our team to provide for this family. Vacation Bible School was a blast as well! The kids loved playing and learning about God and we loved playing with and teaching them! The kids at the orphanage were a blast as well! They don’t usually have people come visit and play with them so it was an experience that they will also never forget. The Jamaican people are some of the most beautiful people I’ve ever gotten to be around. Every day they taught me something new and were very helpful and welcoming. I definitely enjoyed my week in Jamaica and I am already waiting to go back!!

--- Alyssa Major

No comments:

Post a Comment