HHS Ambassadors at Purdue

OUR NEW BLOG IS LOCATED AT


Come and see all the new information we have created to let you see what the College of Health & Human Sciences at Purdue University is all about!

Boiler Up!!!!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Future Goals Reassured

Although I am away from Purdue, this semester has already been so amazing and has reassured my future goals.

Part of my major involves having an internship during your last semester of school and I am doing mine at two elementary schools as a guidance counselor and I love it. It is everything that I expected and more. I love it because it is so rewarding. After week three, the children at both schools are starting to know me and always make an effort to say good morning and give me high fives. There is one student in particular that I have been spending a lot of time with, and this week he gave me a big hug and said “I really like you.” That was the best part of my week, and those little moments are what make my internship so great. From the three weeks I have been an intern, I have learned that this career is so unexpected and no day is ever the same. While there is a structured schedule, it doesn’t always go as planned and things will come up that can change your whole entire agenda. I have also learned that it comes with a lot of disappointing news and hardship, so the positives must always be appreciated to keep you going. More specifically, children will continue to have issues at home and school, but when they have a good day, you must smile with them and appreciate that triumph. Having this hands-on experience is so reassuring and prepares you so much for the real world. While I miss the campus, my friends, and every Boilermaker tradition, these students make me smile so big every day. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Boiler Up!

-- Jacey Abney

No comments:

Post a Comment