HHS Ambassadors at Purdue

OUR NEW BLOG IS LOCATED AT


Come and see all the new information we have created to let you see what the College of Health & Human Sciences at Purdue University is all about!

Boiler Up!!!!

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Wrapping Up My Internship at NIFS

I can’t believe I am saying this but I have only 2 weeks left at my internship with the National Institute for Fitness and Sport in Indianapolis. It seemed not that long ago I wrote to tell everyone how it was going. It has been an amazing experience. Honestly I wasn’t sure what to expect once I heard I received the position in the Educational Services department. I have learned so much about health and wellness while completing a wide range of projects. I have had the opportunity to work two amazing dietitians at NIFS, Heather Fink and Angie Scheetz. They are both a wealth of knowledge and willing to answer any question that I might have. I have enjoyed working on calculations for Iron Man athletes, putting together presentations to give to factory workers, helping with health fairs, assisting with field trips and getting to lead nutrition consults for other interns.

I have been working with another intern all summer Heather Wetzel. She is from Western Illinois University and it has been a blast getting to know her. She is a dietetic student as well and we have been nervously awaiting the start of our dietetic internships at the end of August. It has been so much fun working with her, but getting to become close friends with her and the other people that I have been working with. One thing I have really come to love about NIFS is how friendly people are. It is so welcoming and a great work environment. I have also enjoyed being able to learn more about myself and my interests. I know that I would love to work with a special population in the future, with children, the elderly or specific group of athletes. I have had the opportunity to work with all of these age groups throughout my summer at NIFS, which has been so enlightening.

I am really going to be sad to leave in 2 weeks. I have enjoyed being able to learn more about dietetics and wellness in a non-traditional environment. I have really come to value what NIFS offers the community of Indianapolis and how it even reaches out across the United States through fitness facilities in corporations nationwide. I had limited knowledge about what I was going to learn this summer and be able to take away from this experience. I can proudly say that I have gained immensely more than I imagined and I feel that not only is my resume stronger because of this work experience, but I have grown as a person. You have the opportunity to work out at NIFS and become a member I would highly encourage it or if you have the chance to be an intern I would tell you to get ready for an amazing summer experience!

With this summer job quickly coming to a close I am eagerly awaiting the next chapter of my life, my dietetic internship. That adventure begins August 23rd and my first rotation will be at the National Dairy Council in Indianapolis for 3 weeks and then I will be at St. Joseph Hospital for my foodservice rotation in Kokomo. I know there will be more stories about that once August arrives!

- Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment