HHS Ambassadors at Purdue

OUR NEW BLOG IS LOCATED AT


Come and see all the new information we have created to let you see what the College of Health & Human Sciences at Purdue University is all about!

Boiler Up!!!!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Summer Internship

This summer I have the opportunity to work at the National Institute of Fitness and Sport (NIFS) in downtown Indianapolis. I am in the Educational Services (CES) department working with two dietitians who give presentations and counsel clients all over the state and country. I am in my 3rd week of work and I am really enjoying being in this type of facility. NIFS is a gym that has its main building by the White River downtown and then has corporate sites at different businesses and factories around Indianapolis and the state and country. As a CES intern I help get presentations put together and copy packets that are handed out to people who attend. I attend presentations and meetings that are lead by the two dietitians on staff. I have helped to teach a cooking demonstration to a weight loss class and working on another presentation to the fitness center employees and an article for the wellness magazine published by NIFS. It has been fun to experience a non-traditional side of dietetics. I think that I am interested more in the fitness and wellness aspect of dietetics then the more traditional routes of clinical or foodservice dietetics. I enjoy the freedom and variety of scheduling that a facility like NIFS offers to its employees. I am living in Columbus, IN and then driving up to Indianapolis each day which is an adventure. It is about a 50 minute drive, but it gives me time to think and listen to music. I am working with another intern who is from Western Illinois University and there are 8 other interns within NIFS this summer. Everyone is spread out in a variety of departments including; corporate sites around Indy, senior living, the fitness center and group fitness. It is a great program and if you are interested in wellness and exercise it is a great place to intern and hopefully this summer job will open doors for me in the future. You can learn more about NIFS on their website http://www.nifs.org/.

--Anna


--Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment