HHS Ambassadors at Purdue

OUR NEW BLOG IS LOCATED AT


Come and see all the new information we have created to let you see what the College of Health & Human Sciences at Purdue University is all about!

Boiler Up!!!!

Friday, September 18, 2009

Working Towards Becoming an RD

When I came to Purdue no one really told me what studying Dietetics and Nutrition, Fitness & Health would be like. No one mentioned the countless hours studying, writing papers, reading scientific articles or applying for prestigious internships. As a senior, I am facing my hardest semester yet at Purdue. I thought the past 3 years of my life were challenging, but they can’t hold a candle to what I am learning now. I am not trying to scare people away from Dietetics, it is a great program and I really do enjoy learning about dietary recommendations, nutritional and physical assessments and how to work with a client one on one, but it can still be very overwhelming.

As a senior, I am applying for internships following my 4 years at Purdue. I am currently working on an application for the Coordinated Program and that is due next week. As I am filling out this application and writing my personal statement I am learning that I have come a long way since my freshman year of college. I miss the easier classes and more free time but I am so excited to get an internship either through the Coordinated Program (CPD) or the DPD program. I am most interested in the CPD program because it is close to home and my family, and would be less expensive than moving out of state. I never thought that I would want to stay in Indiana but now my life plans have changed and I am wanting to stay in this area for the time being. If I get into the CPD program I will be an intern for 3 semesters and will graduate in August 2010. That would push my graduation date back but I am ok with that. As long as I finally graduate that is all that matters in the grand scheme of things.

Upon completion of my internship through either the CPD or DPD programs I will then sit for the Registered Dietitian exam and upon passing that test I will become Anna Armstrong, RD. That means I can actually get a job in my field and start earning some money. It is a process to reach that final goal of obtaining the letters RD after my name, but I am excited to see where this path leads.

~ Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment