HHS Ambassadors at Purdue

OUR NEW BLOG IS LOCATED AT


Come and see all the new information we have created to let you see what the College of Health & Human Sciences at Purdue University is all about!

Boiler Up!!!!

Friday, November 13, 2009

A Day in the Life from F.I.T.

Hey guys! I actually have a semi-free night for once, so I thought I’d type a little bit up about my experiences here so far in the city.
The other week I found out that 8 million people alone live on this island. And since I run a lot, I’ve found out that the island itself is really only about 12 miles by 2.5 miles, give or take. Somehow, this seemingly hectic area is managed through structure, routine, and tall buildings. There really is so much to see and do here in this small area of Manhattan, and although I’ve been here almost three months, I still have a list of places I want to go to. I’ve been fortunate to be able to give myself about a day a week to explore though, which transitions into the FIT part of this entry.

Before I came here everyone basically said, “Oh my gosh, it’s going to be so hard and you’re going to have no life.” Unfortunately, for the main part it is true. However haha – it’s really just time management. Nothing we have done so far is insanely difficult, for a lot of the first semester is review of what I’ve already learned at Purdue, except they expound on it and multiply it. For instance, basic draping is taken a step further. We learn every method of basic draping and then have to do a creative version of it. I have only made two complete garments, the rest are half muslins; but, we all have term projects that will be multiple garments per outfit. Stressful, but exciting!That last phrase basically sums up everything – I’ve had spare time to do a couple contests, go to free yoga once a week, join a small group, work out every day, and see the city – all on top of homework. Sometimes it is a lot to handle, but after last year at Purdue and my internship this summer, it’s a little easier. Plus, there really is nothing else to do here aside from school during the week, unless you want to eat out and see a show every night.

Overall my experience here has been one of growth, both educationally and individually. It’s been quite an adjustment, for I haven’t visited home at all. Luckily I’ve made good friends with my roommates, girls in the one-year program, and another girl from Purdue here for retail. I also have family in mid-New Jersey that I visit about once a month. The more I’m here, the more I get used to it. Some things I don’t think I’ll ever get used to though– like being able to jog out to the end of a pier, stretch, and see the Statue of Liberty and the New Jersey skyline. The opportunities here are endless, and somewhat surreal. For instance, we went to Fashion’s Night Out on September 10 and saw Manolo Blahnik, Roberto Cavalli, Grace Coddington, Zac Posen, Laura Bennett, and Miss J from Project Runway. My professors are all extremely knowledgeable and always helpful, and I have learned such a great amount in such a small time period. I’m very grateful that I’m able to be here and could not be more excited for what’s to come. I can’t wait to come home on December 22, visit family and friends, drive, and yes, see farmland haha. That’s the one thing lacking out here – nature. I heard about Lady Gaga coming and had someone get me tickets. Luckily we’re off for six weeks for winterim at F.I.T. so I’ll get to visit Purdue as well. To fellow ambassadors and friends/faculty at Purdue – good luck as the semester comes to a close with final projects and exams! I hope everyone’s doing well!
                    Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment